Sunday, February 6, 2011

February

February: Possibly the longest feeling month of the year.  When I think of the month of February, I picture the color gray.  At times, this month can seem like one big yawn.

Yesterday, I was on a work conversation talking to a woman about programming at her Church.  As many conversations do, it led to a discussion about the weather while she mentioned the parent's complaints about the inconvenience of winter religious education classes.  Her childlike faith and simplicity caught me off guard as she told me, "Let's not focus on the 3 extra inches of snow on the ground, but on the fact that I heard birds chirping outside of my window this morning or that I saw a few blades of green grass beginning to peak through some of the snow."

I know that she didn't say this simply because she is an optimistic, bubbly, positive person.  She said it in such a way that she realized how often we focus on the inconveniences or setbacks in life an fail to notice the small ways in which God reminds us of his presence.

So, let's not focus on the pain the fresh wounds and the semi-healed scars in our lives or the homesickness for previous parts of life.  Let's focus on the fact that I heard my favorite song on the radio yesterday and that I had an awesome conversation with an old friend.  Let's focus on the small gifts we receive day to day, moment to moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment