Monday, May 16, 2011

And it Broke My Heart to Say Goodbye

To my brothers...and you know who you are.

Every now and then God gives us a glimpse into heaven, that is, into the relationship of the most holy Trinity.  I caught a glimpse this past weekend when I was blessed with the presence of three young men who have forever changed my life and my heart.  The friendship between us is one that has grown over many hours of laughter, stories, and deep conversation-not over beer, games, class time, or sports-but conversation. 

Friendships like this don't require complicated formulas.  More than anything, these friendships seem to have stemmed from the simplicity of what it means to have truly human friendships.  That is, the simplicity of caring for other people and a community without hesitation, hidden pride, or judgement.  In essence, these relationships have been built on the basic human way of being a friend.  They are built on undivided attention, vulnerability, virtue, blunt honesty, humor and complete absence of negative judgement.  It is this experience that makes me realize how starved this world is for true friendships.

So, here's to disney coloring pages, poor analogies, the "b word", stereotypical assumptions, and the Keys to the Kingdom.  Here's to Albuquerque, Nevada, Pakistan, and Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment